An increasing number of our customers have been working with us, utilising ours and their in-house expertise to create bespoke Lisp routines that have revolutionised their workflows and driven massive productivity gains, so I was compelled to write an article so that others can potentially benefit.
CAD software has revolutionised the way design professionals create and visualise their projects. In addition to its core functionality of simplifying the design process, CAD software also offers a hidden gem – automation. In this article, we’ll explore how CAD software can essentially pay for itself through automation, with a specific focus on AI technology and Lisp routines, which are powerful tools for automating repetitive tasks.
The Cost of Repetition
Repetitive tasks are a part of every CAD professional’s daily routine. Whether it’s creating standardised drawings, adjusting dimensions across multiple designs, or performing data extraction, these tasks can be time-consuming and error-prone when done manually. Traditionally, engineers and designers had to invest countless hours in performing these repetitive actions, leading to a significant loss of productivity and an increased likelihood of errors.
Automation in CAD software provides a solution to these challenges. With automation, CAD professionals can streamline repetitive tasks and significantly reduce the time and effort required to complete them. This leads to a higher level of productivity, improved accuracy, and cost savings in the long run.
The Power of Lisp Routines
Among the various methods of automation in CAD software, Lisp routines stand out as versatile and powerful tools. Lisp is a programming language that can be used to create custom functions and automate a wide range of tasks. Here’s how Lisp routines contribute to the ROI of your CAD software, making it a tool that works for you just like an employee:
1. Customisation: Lisp routines allow you to tailor automation to your specific needs. Just as you would train an employee to perform tasks according to your company’s processes, Lisp routines can be customised to fit the unique requirements of each project.
2. Time Savings: Automating repetitive tasks through Lisp routines reduces the time it takes to complete them. What might have taken hours or even days manually can be accomplished in a matter of seconds with a well-designed Lisp routine. This time saving directly translates into increased productivity and reduced labour costs.
3. Error Reduction: Manual repetition often leads to errors, which can be costly to rectify. Lisp routines, when programmed correctly, execute tasks with precision, minimising the potential for human error. This not only saves time but also prevents costly errors that may arise during the design and construction phases.
4. Consistency: CAD automation ensures a high level of consistency in design work. Just as you expect your employees to adhere to company standards, Lisp routines can enforce standards and guidelines, ensuring that all drawings and designs adhere to the same criteria. This consistency can enhance the quality of the final product and reduce the need for revisions.
5. Scalability: As project complexity increases, the need for automation becomes even more apparent. Lisp routines can scale to accommodate larger and more intricate projects, making them a valuable asset for CAD professionals working on a variety of tasks and projects.
As a previous customer, I always thought of BricsCAD as not just a tool but a super inexpensive, but valuable team member that works tirelessly and diligently for us. By embracing automation, you can harness the full potential of CAD, significantly increasing productivity, reducing errors, and ensuring consistent quality. This strategic approach leads to substantial cost savings and a high return on investment for CAD software, making it an indispensable asset in any design and engineering environment. So, if you’re looking to boost efficiency and save both time and money, I urge you to consider the possibilities of BricsCAD AI and the power of Lisp.
You can see how First Fix Formwork transformed their operations and enhanced efficiency with BricsCAD AI and the Power of Lisp here.
If you’d like to discuss how we can help with your automations, please get in touch and between us, we can explore how to get you working more efficiently.